RSU 2 Meal Service Update: Three RSU 2 Sponsored meal service sites to open as early as Wednesday, March 25
RSU 2 continues to work on implementing a meal service program to serve our children during the COVID-19 health crisis, and we are considering all options. To date, we have supported three town-operated sites by providing grab and go food that required minimal assembling. Beginning this week, we will shift to three RSU 2 sites under the Summer Food Service Program, referenced in my March 21 message. These “summer meal” sites are “open” sites: any child aged 18 and younger may receive a free Lunch and Breakfast. Our Food Services Director, Chrissy Michaud and I will continue to explore possibilities for delivering meals by bus in light of changing guidance from our federal and state agencies. Though we are hopeful that we will be able to move to delivering meals by bus, we do not wish to delay the meal service program while we work out the details as they apply to RSU 2, so for now, we will offer site-based meal distribution.
Details of Site-Based Meal Program
Locations and start dates
- Dresden Elementary Parking lot: Wed. March 25, 2020
- Richmond Middle School Parking Lot: Monday, March 30 [UPDATE: 3.24.2020]
- Farmingdale Town Office Parking lot: Wed. March 25, 2020
- Henry L. Cottrell Elementary School: March 30, 2020
Meal Site Hours
All sites Monday through Friday: 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM
Safety and standards of social distancing are a priority; we will take steps to ensure safety to the best of our ability.
- Each RSU 2 site will be set up similar to a drive through restaurant.
- We will ask those in vehicles to drive up to the designated area one at a time to receive meals for the number of children who need them.
- Anyone who must walk to the site will be asked to keep at least six feet from others and approach the meal pickup area one at a time. Site workers will assist you in these steps.
Again, these sites are open to all children ages 18 and younger. If any children are unable to get to one of these sites, a responsible person may pick up meals for those children. Site workers will ask the responsible person for the number of children who need meals.
Please note: A local sponsor in the town of Winthrop has already set up a meal site at the Monmouth Town Office Parking lot. The RSU 2-sponsored sites described above will not affect this site.
I'd like to thank our local, state, and federal agencies and partners for their continued efforts to understand, support, and seek the best way to help schools support kids and families in these troubling times.