- Embraces student voice and choice through varied learning opportunities that occur year-round and take place inside, as well as outside of schools; project-based learning, internships, experiential learning, career technical education, peer learning, technology and apprenticeships.
- Shows students learn in a variety of environments, from a variety of sources, and at different paces based on individual learning needs.
- Presents opportunities for students to analyze and think critically, write and speak effectively, and collaboratively solve complex problems today and in the future.
- Includes the community and its resources as an important part of the learning process.
- Integrates a rigorous, focused curriculum with instruction and standards-linked assessments.
- Enables students to clearly understand what they should know and be able to do as a result of their learning.
- Incorporates demonstrations as well as traditional tests to measure when a student has mastered the skills and content, thus providing an accurate gauge of how well students are learning and when advancement to the next stage is appropriate.
- Develops in the learner a sense of self-worth, cultural awareness, and ethical and social responsibility.
- Ensures that students are able to set goals, manage time, and demonstrate an effective work ethic.
Source: Community shared visioning meetings held April 29, October 7,14,21,28, November 4, 2010 and Nellie Mae Education Foundation Finalized: December 2, 2010 by the RSU2 Standards-Based Ad Hoc Sub-Committee of the School Board Approved: January 5, 2011 by the RSU2 School Board
Monday, November 28, 2011