The following information is from the Maine Department of Labor: "For Minors under 16 years old must obtain a work permit before beginning a job. They must get a new permit every time they begin a new job until they reach 16 years old, even if they work for their parents.
In order to apply for a work permit, the minor must be:
- enrolled in school;
- not habitually truant or under suspension; and
- passing a majority of courses during the current grading period."
Steps to Obtain a Work Permit:
NOTE - During the current pandemic, these steps can be completed virtually. Please email Principal Amero, firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Student gets offered a job
2. Student and parent (guardian) completes State of Maine Work Permit,
4. Principal completes the permit and submits the form to the Maine Department of Labor
5. Department of Labor reviews permit to ensure that the minor is of legal age to work at the business and that the occupation is not hazardous. If the permit is in order, the Department will validate the form, and return a copy to the Principal (superintendent). The school’s office will provide a copy for the employer.
Maine Department of Labor employment laws for minors can be found here: https://www.maine.gov/labor/labor_laws/publications/minorsguide.html